When wreaths start appearing on front doors, you know Christmas is coming. This year, why not give your decorations a personal touch and make your own wreath? It’s easy to do, and the results look great!
Where do wreaths come from?
Wreath-making goes back a very long way. Ancient Greeks and Romans used laurel wreaths to crown the victors at the original Olympic games. In Christian tradition, circular wreaths made with evergreens like holly and ivy are used to symbolize immortality. And the sight of brightly decorated wreaths in mid-winter is a positive signal to us all that the festive season is close at hand.
Your wreath base
There are two options for bases;
- Our recommendation is the Fir wreath base; a tightly bound ring of fir foliage which looks fabulous and is ready to decorate. The advantage with this ring is that the fir foliage keeps its lovely green needles for weeks (or even months) so providing you're not using anything that requires moisture, these can be made in advance and will last for ages!
you can see the various sizes available by clicking here
- If you are an experienced wreath-maker and plan to use fresh foliage such as holly and/or ivy which require a source of moisture, you might prefer the florist's foam ring (such as Oasis).
Decorating your Christmas wreath
When it comes to decorating your wreath base, the only limit is your imagination! We’ve put together a few ideas to get you started - please note that these suggestions are primarily for decorating the Fir wreath.
- Spray pine cones gold and silver, then either glue them on with a glue gun or use florist’s wire to fix them to your wreath base.
- Make a bird-friendly wreath by fixing sprays of berries, fresh fruit or nuts to it. Hang it in the garden and watch the birds enjoying a festive treat!
- Go traditional and add dried fruit, nuts and cinnamon sticks
- Make a statement with a lovely ribbon tied in a bow
- Spray on snow or glitter
- Add some battery-operated lights
Need some inspiration for your festive decorations? We have a fantastic range of wreaths, lights and everything else you need instore, so visit us today!